How to Fix msvcp140.dll missing Error?
Sometimes when we open the application on our laptop or desktop, we get the error “The program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing from your computer” or “The code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found“. This error usually occurs in Windows 10, but it is not uncommon for Windows 7 and 8 to encounter this error as well. Especially when we open Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, OBS and GTA V, The Sims, Call of Duty, and more. This of course prevents us from running these applications and games.
The msvcp140.dll is missing error is caused by the msvcp140.dll file not being found in the Windows system files. The file is a file from the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable application whose function is quite important on the Windows operating system.
How to solve the msvcp140.dll missing error on Windows 7, 8, and 10
– Open an internet browser, Google Chrome for example.
– Go to the official Visual C++ Download page from Microsoft at this link.
– Scroll your screen down to Visual Studio 2015, 2017, and 2019.
– Download vc_redist.x86.exe and vc_redist.x64.exe by clicking these links.
– Install vc_redist.x86 for 32-bit Windows users. For 64-bit Windows users, install both (vc_redist.x86 and vc_redist.x64).
– Restart your laptop or computer and open the application with the msvcp140.dll missing error.
In step 5 above, make sure you already know you’re using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. If you don’t know, read How to check your version of Windows 10. Also, if your Windows is 64-bit, install vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe. In the meantime, if it’s 32-bit, just install vc_redist.x86.exe.
Only by following the above 6 steps can we quickly fix the msvcp140.dll missing issue. Actually, the above steps are the same as the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll issue which also comes from the Visual C++ Redistributable. Fixing it is also the same as installing the application.